You want your videos to look absolutely fantastic, but you’re noticing some inconsistencies in the quality of the experience.
Let me tell you, it’s probably because your sound quality isn’t as great as your video.
Image quality doesn’t matter as much when people can’t understand what you’re saying in the video. Sound plays an important role and should be considered first before anything else such has image qualities.
Just like action camera flashlight is necessary to help you produce good quality images in dark. Action camera microphone attachment is also necessary to help you enhance the audio quality of your video.
5 Best Action Camera Microphone Attachments
We’ve considered different factors to bring you the top 5 microphone attachments that will work with your action camera.
We wanted a variety of prices, features and quality so every person could find something they would enjoy using.
Rode wireless Go 2 Microphone
The Rode Wireless GO II system allows you to record your audio anywhere in minutes. The system consists of two transmitters, three plug-in lavalier mics and general 3mm mic needles that are all compatible with each other as well as with the transmitter.
This innovative design features a built-in microphone and breakout cable that allow users to record professional sounding broadcasts without worrying about cables. The device also offers USB connectivity so downloading recordings is easier and faster.
- The Rode wireless Go 2 comes with 2 transmitters and a single receiver. You can record two sound sources simultaneously because of this feature.
- Internal recording of over 40 hours is possible.
- It has an incredible wireless range of about 200m with 128-bit encryption.
- The battery life is up to 7 hours.
- By using Rode Central App, you can adjust advanced audio settings. It also provides new features and recording mods.
- Comes with TRS analog output, USB-C, and iOS digital output therefore, provides universal compatibility with different cameras and mobile phone devices.
The Rode Wireless Go II can record up to 40 hours of 24-bit audio. This means you don’t need a recorder anymore, besides it is much more compact than previously popular models on the market.
Movo VXR10 Universal Video Microphone
If you’re looking for a good quality microphone that doesn’t empty your wallet then the Movo VXR10 microphone would be a perfect choice.
With the Movo VXR10, you can take your voice or sound on film anywhere.
This lightweight and compact cardioid condenser microphone is designed specifically for use with cameras as well as mobile phones so it will fit right into any production that requires an interviewee.
- It has universal compatibility.
- Includes sturdy integrated shock mount that minimizes handling noise.
- The furry “Deadcat” windscreen is the perfect accessory to keep your recordings smooth and clear.
- It’s a shotgun-style mic that is better suited for camera-mounted recording as it emphasizes what’s in front of the character by minimizing audio coming in from sides.
The sound quality, when compared to other action camera microphones, is not as great but considering the price it comes with, it’s still better than the inbuilt action camera microphone.
The Movo VXR10 shotgun mic is an affordable and reliable tool for any professional that needs better audio quality than what’s typically found on camera mics.
This particular model has been designed with windy conditions in mind, making it perfect to use when shooting outdoors or near breezy areas like open landscapes where there are often gusts of breeze which can create unwanted noise within your video footage.
Rode Video Mic Pro Compact VMP Shotgun Microphone
Rode VideoMic Pro VMP is a professional mic that sits on top of any camera while leaving behind minimal footprint.
For an average consumer, it may seem somewhat expensive but with quality comes responsibility and if you want your recordings to sound good this will be one investment worth making.
High end cameras can sometimes deliver bad sounds due their built in mics which results in unwanted noise such hiss or handling noises etc.
- It has a 9V battery that has a 70-hour run time
- It has attached a 3.5mm TRS output cable
- It has a super-cardioid directional condenser that captures directional audio.
- Has an integrated Rycote Lyre shock mounting which reduces handling noise.
- Has a high-quality windshield for outdoor recording.
Overall this microphone is really good, but it’s not suitable for every situation. We can’t say that there are no better alternatives for this microphone but none of them are not as affordable as this one.
We would recommend this microphone to someone who wants good quality sound when placed at close range.
However, if you want everything thing about the audio spot on, then it would be better for you to explore other options.
Sennheiser MKE 400 Microphone
The Sennheiser MKE 400 shotgun video microphone is perfect for subjects in front of the mic, especially if you are trying to get clear audio from outdoor environments.
This highly directional recording pattern means that it favorably rejects ambient noise coming off-axis which makes this one great option when documenting louder sounds like engines or sirens without having them overwhelm your subject’s voice.
Sennheiser MKE 400 is great at rejecting audio that comes from the sides and therefore, produces crisp and high-quality audio.
- Highly directional shotgun microphone for enhanced and isolated in camera audio
- It includes built in wind protection and shock absorption
- It has a three-step sensitivity switch which can provide distortion free sound in any condition
- 5 mm TRS and TRRS connectivity offers compatibility with DSLR, mobile phones and action cameras.
- It will automatically turn on and off when connected to a camera
Considering the price tag, we would say that the mic does provide quality sound and justifies its cost.
The only thing missing is safety channel but you could get away with it by accessing the audio limiting features available on your camera.
Overall, I would say that this microphone ranks highly on our top 5 list in terms of its audio quality.
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of owning this action camera microphone attachment.
Rode Smart Lavalier Condenser Microphone
The “smart lav +” is a lavalier microphone with a TRRS connector that can be plugged directly with an action camera or a mobile phone.
There are no controls on hand so the only thing you need to do is to connect it with your action camera and start recording.
The mic is a perfect choice for field production, news reporting, mobile recordings.
The biggest benefit of having this microphone is that its easy to use and records high quality audio.
- Broadcast grade lavalier microphone
- It has a TRRS Connector for plugging into mobile phones and action cameras
- Omni directional polar pattern
- 2m Kevlar-reinforced shielded cable
- Includes pop filter
There are only two main limitations with this microphone, the first one is that it’s an omnidirectional microphone therefore it captures audio from all direction.
Secondly, if you clip this mic on someone only that person will be heard.
Overall, its reasonably priced and records good audio. The mic is not suitable for all situations but it’s still better than an in-built action camera microphone.
Types of Microphones for Action Camera Microphone Attachment
- Simple construction
- Extremely high sound levels
- Poor high-end frequency response.
- Better dynamic range than dynamic mics
- Better noise floor than dynamic mics
- Ideal for recording studio environment
- These mics are generally expense
- Typically, omnidirectional that means they don’t reject sound from any direction
- Small and lightweight
- Ideal for recording sound and dialogue
- Usually are kept close to sound source for clear audio.
- Highly directional, which means they reject sound from sides and back
- High sensitivity
- Low self-noise
So overall, what we have learnt in this article is that action cameras that don’t have a 3.5mm audio input port will need mic adapter to connect an external microphone. Therefore, before buying any external microphone attachment for you action camera makes sure it is compatible.
Then we divided into the top 5 best action camera microphone attachment that you can get for your camera. Out of those 5 microphones our top choice is Rode wireless go 2 since it is a complete package.
Towards the end we discussed different types of microphones and their features so that we better understand the ideal situations in which that particular microphone should be used.
If you have any question or queries, feel free to comment down below. We’ll be more than happy to help you choose the best microphone that suits your needs.
Which microphone do you think is the best? Comment Below!