If you want to produce professional-quality video, it is important that your audio matches the high standard of visual quality. A DSLR microphone will help make sure everything sounds great!
Just like action cameras, DSLR video cameras are typically equipped with a built-in microphone, but most of them can only produce low sound quality.
The camera provides excellent footage so it stands out more when the voice is not clear or garbled during recording sessions for example due to background noise like traffic.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at the best microphones for DSLR cameras. We’ve considered different factors such as price and quality to bring you 10 great options that will fit your needs.
Rode VideoMicro DSLR Microphone
The Rode VideoMicro is an excellent choice for anyone who needs to use their mic often, whether they’re streaming video or photographing.
It features a built-in 80Hz high pass filter that reduces low-frequency noise while still being able to capture clear sound with no static interference from other electronics around you.
The soft-touch design makes it easy on your equipment and yourself – plus its compact size means more portability than ever before.
- The anti-shock attachment aims to shield the microphone from camera vibrations.
- The microphone is made to attach to your camera’s hot shoe.
- It contains a 3/8-inch screw fitting.
- The mic and camera are connected by a short, detachable, coil-coiled wire with 3.5mm right-angle connectors.
The VideoMicro is a well-made device with its aluminum body and small size.
It’s ideal for partnered CSCs because it performs an excellent job at concentrating on sounds in camera range, while being considerably less prone than built-in mics to gathering operational noises during recording (such as from autofocus motors).
Sennheiser MKE 400
The Sennheiser MKE 400 is a fantastic tiny shotgun microphone that will be ideal for vloggers and aspiring filmmakers. It has straightforward controls, excellent performance at an affordable price.
A three-step sensitivity switch enables the MKE 400 the ability to provide distortion free sound in any environment, and a switchable low-cut filter focuses your audio on the most essential frequencies for clarity and speech intelligibility.
- Maximum side noise rejection with video recording optimisation
- Sensitivity may change between long and short distances.
- Programmable wind noise filter
- Integral shock-mount for managing noise rejection
Even in difficult recording situations, the Sennheiser MKE 400 can provide clear, directed audio thanks to its low-cut filters and windscreen, which work well together to deliver the best clarity possible.
Although it has a clear, required signal, the analog Sennheiser MKE 400 shotgun mic might need some design improvements.
Rode VideoMic NTG DSLR Microphone
A shotgun microphone with a tonne of features designed specifically for use on camera, the VideoMic NTG is broadcast-grade.
It shares the NTG5’s ground-breaking acoustic design, which offers unparalleled transparency and a pure, unadulterated sound.
With a wide range of tools and functions, the VideoMic NTG is incredibly adaptable and can handle any recording circumstance.
- Fully adjustable gain control (mic level to headphone level)
- Sophisticated auto-sensing USB outputs with headphone
- High-pass filters, Pad, Security channel, Auto-power functionality, and HF boost dB maximum warning light are all switched digitally.
- Rechargeable Li-ion batteries (charged through USB Type-C)
- All of the standard features of VideoMics are highly durable, Rycote Lyre shock mounting, and lightweight
The RDE VideoMic NTG is a reliable microphone that works well in various settings.
At least in our perspective, the build quality and general level of detail are significantly superior to prior RODE on-camera products.
Rode VideoMic Pro+ DSLR Microphone
The Rode VideoMic Pro+ is an improvement to the best on-camera market segment.
It is a genuine shotgun microphone made for use as a primary and references audio input with camcorders, DSLR cameras, and portable recording devices.
- Plug-in energy and an automatic generation function
- Refined Windshield Form
- Digital Switches
- Built-in Battery Door Supply
- LB-1, 2 x AA Batteries, Micro USB
The Rode VideoMic Pro+ is among the best and most reasonably priced on-camera shotgun mics on the market.
This microphone can perform wonderfully for you, whether you’re a budding filmmaker, working on school assignments, or making your vlog.
The last group of people I recommend it would be those who are just starting out with filmography and don’t want anything too expensive right off the bat.
Shure VP83F LensHopper DSLR Microphone
With the Shure VP83F tiny condenser shotgun microphones, you can quickly record detailed, high-resolution audio while using DSLR cameras and camcorders to take videos.
Integrated Flash for $329.00
No Flash for $197.99
For ultimate convenience, and to enable standalone operation, it features integrated flash recording. A detachable coiled cable with 3.5 mm gold plated connector allows you to simultaneously record onto the camera.
- High-definition sound in depth with a complete low-end reaction
- The super-cardioid/lobar polar arrangement rejects inappropriate off-axis audio.
- Integrated flash recording built-in (MicroSDHC, up to 32 GB)
- The capture of an unprocessed WAV file at a sampling frequency of 24-bit/48 kHz
- For real-time headphones monitoring, a separate headphone audio output is given.
If you capture video with a DSLR that lacks an audio input, the VP83F is a microphone to consider.
The pick-up pattern of the mic is broad. This works well for music but not so well for things that happen more often, like interviews or performed scenes.
Movo VXR10 Universal
The Movo VXR10 is a lightweight, small cardioid condenser microphone when used with cameras and cell phones.
It features wires that allow it to be linked to a camera or a phone and goes with a shock mount that fits into a hot shoe.
- Consider including an external microphone in your toolkit might be a little intimidating.
- It may significantly enhance the audio that you record for your films.
- With the Movo VXR10 shotgun microphone, two cords are included.
- It is host-powered. Thus there is no need for a battery or power source.
The Movo VXR10 is a reasonably priced shotgun mic with all the essentials. In windy settings, it significantly improves audio quality compared to a camera\’s onboard mic.
Deity D3 Pro DSLR Microphone
The V-Mic D3 Pro, dubbed “the world’s largest first intelligent microphone” can connect to almost anything with a 3.5mm microphone connection.
As a result, it may be used with a DSLR as well as smartphones, tablets, bodypack radios, and even PCs.
- High Definition Sound
- Minimalist Supercardioid Polar Pattern (143g weight)
- Long-lasting Uni-body aluminum Build
- An internal lithium battery with a runtime of more than 50 hours
The Deity D3 Pro is a reliable, reasonably priced piece of professional equipment. It offers a high-quality recorded product in addition to having fantastic built-in functions. There are several variations of the Deity D3 Pro.
The Audio-Technica 875R is a compact shotgun mic that is only 7 inches long and has a smaller diameter.
It has been suitable for a tiny model, successfully rejecting noises from a 60-degree angle.
This variant is ideal for on-camera use and may be utilized with supports or boom poles. Such a universal solution is also shockingly inexpensive.
- For Independent Films, Television, and Documentaries
- Phantom Powered Perception Requires Less Gain
- No knobs, simple operation
- On-Axis Tone that is Smooth
- Soft Presence Boost
- Windscreens help to reduce wind noise.
- Small housing and light.
The Audio-Technica AT875R small shotgun microphone is particularly suited for budget-conscious movies, TV shootings, nature recordings, and documentary works where convenience and quality sound are paramount.
It has a smooth tone, outstanding off-axis rejection, and a simple operation.
Tascam Tm-2x DSLR Microphone
The Tascam TM-2X, like most contemporary microphones on the marketplace, is simple to control and use. It makes it incredibly simple for anyone to pick up and install it on their preferred camera.
Install the hot shoe mount, attach the jack connected to your camera, and capture video with outstanding audio quality.
- Filter that may be switched on and off to reduce unwanted low-frequency noise
- Plug-in power is used; no battery is required.
- A noise isolation arm is incorporated to decrease potential noise from the camera’s lens or stabiliser motors.
- A fur windshield has been provided to decrease noise recording in outdoor circumstances.
It’s a sturdy small microphone that’s also relatively lightweight, so you won’t even notice it’s there when placed on your preferred camera.
Sennheiser AVX-ME2 SET Digital Wireless Microphone System
A communication network that fails audio quality is useless, no matter how handy it is.
The AVX system, fortunately, has an extended dynamic range of more than 120 dB(A), a robust signal-to-noise quality of more than 90 dB, and records 24-bit sound at 48kHz.
That’s pretty good, and the results indicate it, with highly useable audio quality.
- Simple to Use, Autonomous Operation
- Automatic Microphone Level Control
- Reusable Batteries for 4 Hours + USB Power
- Bodypack Transmitter with Ultra-Compact Connector Receiver
The AVX’s automated channel hopping works effectively since it is the only option available without user channel control.
AVX farel is used in the field to shoot in various situations that may be prone to higher RF activity.
Types Of DSLR Microphone
There are three types of DSLR microphones you will come to know about:
The most common kind of microphone is a handheld one.
Handled microphones may be attached to a microphone stand for singing or public speaking and built for hand-holding.
Note that handheld microphones require extra equipment to record with your DSLR, so this may not be the ideal solution for low-budget filmmakers.
A mic clip is used to attach a small, lavalier microphone or “lav mic” to the user’s body or clothes.
A lav microphone can be corded or wireless and is intended to be discreet, lightweight, and compact.
Lavalier microphones are excellent for covert filming and offer deceptively high-quality sound.
These are the mics that DSLRs most typically employ. Shotgun microphones get their name from the long, slotted tube in front of the microphone cartridge that gives the device the appearance of a shotgun.
It is stated that shotgun microphones are pretty directional. They aid in the difficult-to-reach distant noises thanks to their long design.
They do this by canceling out noises coming from directions other than the barrels, which produces a more precise sound.
They can be fixed to the tops of cameras or boom poles which is a common way of using them with DSLR. They are simple to operate and incredibly efficient.
Choosing a DSLR Microphone
When choosing a DSLR Microphone, make sure you keep the following factors in mind to help you make an informed decision.
First, you must choose how much you are able and willing to pay for a DSLR microphone. It will assist you in narrowing down your alternatives.
Type and Mounting Method
Second, you must decide which sort of microphone will best suit your equipment and filming routine. For example, a lav mic is the best choice if you frequently shoot interviews.
Dimensions and Weight
It would help if you thought about the mobility of your external microphone. You don\’t want a large piece of machinery if you’re filming on location or Vlogging on the go. Look for a lightweight, compact microphone that carries a powerful impact.
Life of the Battery
Battery life is also an important consideration when selecting a microphone. You don’t want your microphone to die in the middle of a recording.
So, if you frequently shoot long distances from power sources, search for a microphone with long battery life and simple charging alternatives.
We’ve finished our list of the top ten best DSLR camera microphones for 2022, and we’re convinced that you’ve found what you’re searching for.
When you decide to purchase your next DSLR camera mic, we want you to browse over our suggestions and choose the need you would like to acquire it for.